Caroline Flint is one of nineteen Labour MPs to co-sign letters to the President of the European Commission Jean Claude Juncker and the President of the European Council Donald Tusk urging the EU Commission and the EU27 to “work night and day, if required, to agree a deal.”
Said Caroline “I have written to Jean Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk urging the EU Commission, the EU27 member states and the UK Government to work night and day to agree a deal.
“I want the referendum result delivered – but an orderly Brexit is better than a No Deal Brexit.
“Don Valley’s voters, like the British people, are tired of deadlock and want Brexit resolved.
"I will be working right up to 31 October to keep my election pledge to the people of Don Valley to get the best Brexit deal and to leave the EU.”
The MPs argue that:
- The EU Commission, the EU27 and the UK government have to find an accommodation,.
- An orderly Brexit is better than a No Deal Brexit.
- The public are tired of deadlock and want Brexit resolved.
- That a deal will deliver an orderly Brexit, respect the 2016 referendum decision and protect the Good Friday Agreement.
- A deal can provide the guarantees and rights that most voters, including Remain voters, value.
- That until a deal is agreed the country cannot heal its divisions.
- That the parties to the negotiations should be willing to “work night and day if required” until an agreement is reached.
The MPs urge the EU not to be “attracted to the option of further delay, which will solve nothing and add to public division and disenchantment with politics”.
The MPs argue that a deal is very likely to be ratified by Parliament and “our votes will be decisive” signalling that the Parliamentary deadlock will be ended.
Read the letter here. (The same letter was sent to Mr Tusk)