My pledges for Don Valley
The Cost of Living
- Freeze energy bills until 2017, and force energy companies to pass on falls in wholesale prices.
- Help working parents with 25 hours free childcare for 3 and 4 year olds.
- A guaranteed GP appointment within 48 hours; and one week wait for cancer tests.
- 20,000 more nurses, 8,000 more GPs, 3,000 more midwives and 5,000 more care workers with time to care.
Fair Immigration controls
- 1,000 new Border Agency staff.
- Ban recruitment agencies that only hire foreign workers.
- People who come here must pay in for two years before they can claim any benefits.
Fair work, fair pay
- Ban exploitative zero hours contracts.
- Raise the minimum wage to £8.
- Cut tax for 24 million people with a 10p starting rate.
Tackling the deficit
- A new 50p top rate of tax and pay down the deficit in a fair way to balance the books.
Help for business
- Cut, then freeze, business rates for small firms.
- As many apprenticeships as there are university places.
- Double the number of homes for first time buyers and build more council houses.