Here are some of the things Caroline Flint has done for Don Valley as your MP...
Winning battles for Don Valley
- Doncaster’s own airport. Lobbying Ministers; speaking at the public inquiry. The airport created 1,000 new jobs and brought new firms to Doncaster.
- The Great Yorkshire Way. A Rossington link road was a 16 year battle. iPort has created 2,000 jobs.
- DN7 project. Lobbied for the M18 J6 link road to take HGVs off residential roads.
- Promoted tourism, and our Wildlife Park from its beginning; Conisbrough Castle and the Pilgrim Fathers anniversary.
- New investment. Voted funding for new secondary schools across Don Valley; the Tom Hill Youth Club and the Bambury Bridge in Denaby Main.
- Local policing. As a Minister, helped set up the first neighbourhood policing teams. Campaigned to restore policing teams cut by the Tories - and won, with more police.
- A strong NHS. Lobbied for new health centres across Don Valley. Stopped creation of a Wholly Owned Subsidiary at DRI.
- Made in Doncaster. Backed local firms like Omega in Thorne to expand, creating over 100 new jobs.
- Our environment. Fought against the destruction of peatlands. Thorne & Hatfield Moors taken into public ownership in 2003.
Standing up for communities
- Rogue landlords. Campaigned against rogue landlords. A landlord licensing scheme for Edlington came into force in 2018.
- New estates. Won broadband for Warren Park, Bessacarr and Pembridge Park, Hayfield Green.
- Towns and villages. Stood up for our outlying towns and villages, supporting our high streets, like Thorne, Tickhill and Bawtry.
- Rural broadband. Championed fixing broadband - coverage now 97% of homes.
- Organised crime. The Royal Estate police station in Edlington coming back into use.
- Safer roads. Campaigned for 20mph zones near schools. Battled to close lorry park in Rossington. Secured pedestrian footbridge for Hayfield Green.
- Congestion. New Dunsville traffic lights.
- Traffic Speed. Reduced speed limits in Braithwell and Austerfield.
- A local NHS. Campaigning for new Rossington health centre.
- Workers’ rights. Backed Polypipe workers to win union recognition; DRI electricians to recover withheld earnings;
- The People’s Post. Backed CWU Save our Post Office campaign and opposed break-up of Royal Mail Parcel Force. Promoted Unite-Wavin learning partnership in Warmsworth.
- Coal Health. Helped hundreds of former miners’ coalhealth claims; and recovered fees wrongly taken by solicitors.
- WASPI. Supporting pension justice for 1950s-born women.
- Tackling poverty. Helping Universal Credit claimants. Lobbied for £3billion improvement to UC allowances. Supporting local foodbank
In touch. In the Community
- Elm Green Lane Centre. Fought off mayor Davies’ effort to closed this community centre in Conisbrough.
- Giving back. Volunteering at Martinwells Lake, Edlington.
- Backed the Military Covenant and to restore neglected WW1 graves.
- Here to help. Monthly surgeries in each ward since 1997. 1,700 surgeries. Over 25,000 people helped.
A national voice
“I spend more time on local doorsteps and visits than on TV or radio. Don Valley comes first. But I never miss a chance to plug Doncaster.”